The HREL Norfolk Segment 1A will repurpose I-64 in both directions from Tidewater Drive to Patrol Road in Norfolk. The three existing general purpose (GP) lanes and shoulders will be converted to one part-time, high-occupancy express shoulder lane and three GP lanes for a total of 2 miles.
This project is currently under construction. The HREL Norfolk Segment 1B is in design.
Project Awarded: Fall 2022
Project Completion: Early 2026
Project Cost: $197.6 Million
Contractor: Design-Build, Allan Myers
Major Work Items:
- Two miles of shoulder rehabilitation/strengthening in each direction
- Noise walls
- Overhead signing
- Right of way acquisition in spot locations
- Roadway widening in spot locations to maintain minimum shoulder width
- Tolling gantries
- Widening and Rehabilitating five existing bridges (EB I-564, EB Granby Street, EB Little Creek Road, EB/WB Tidewater)
- Rehabilitating three existing bridges (WB Little Creek, WB Granby Street, and Reversible I-64 over I-564 and Granby Street
Late 2022 / Early 2023 Construction Outlook:
- VDOT is performing preliminary engineering studies in the project area and mailed letters to property owners where information may be collected for survey and informed decision-making.
- Engineering studies continue
- Tree clearing may take place along the corridor
All work is dependent on weather conditions and the schedule is subject to change.
511 Traffic camera views in this area include, but are not limited to:
- I-64 / MM 276.5 / WB / OL AT GRANBY STREET
- I-64 / MM 277 / EB / GRANBY ST / NORFOLK NAVAL BASE
- I-64 / MM 277.5 / WB / OL AT I-564 INTERCHANGE
- I-64 / MM 278 / WB / OL PAST TIDEWATER DRIVE
- I-64 / MM 278.5 / EB / IL AT TIDEWATER DRIVE